Friday 4 March 2011

Are you stuck in a veggie rut?

Do you ever feel like you're stuck with the same veggies prepared the same way every time? UGH, that can get pretty boring can't it. Whenever we read or listen to anything about nutrition and health we are told that we need to add more veggies to our day. A difficult task when your stuck in a veggie rut. Well, I am going to share with you some quick and simple recipes. Lets explore some ideas to drag you out of your rut and get some delish veggies on your plate.

Here's a tip: If you want to roast your veggies; warm your pan ahead of time, otherwise the starch will stick to the pan. I am sure we all want to spend more time enjoying our cooking and less time scrubbing our pans!

I adore roasted veggies! I like to peel and chop large pieces up and throw them into my warmed cast iron pan. I never peel potatoes that are to be roasted - those peels are too super good for you to be discarded.
Often I will mix my potatoes - Yukon Golds, Peruvian Blue, PEI White and of course some yummy Yams. I gently rub extra virgin oil all over them and toss in a wee bit of salt and sweet curry. Go light on the salt & curry you want the taste of the potatoes to be able to shine. Then I add carrots and parsnip - I am really into the Heritage Sunburst Carrots right now. They have an amazing beet red on the outside and beautiful orange on the inside - Mm beta-carotene. If you enjoy Beets, then by all means add them - I am not a huge fan; although, I have been known to enjoy the little golden beets. Don't leave the onion family out - shallots and garlic are SO tasty and SO good for you. Are there any veggies that you want in there - Red Pepper? Endive? Mushrooms - sure, throw it on in!
Alright now, get your clean hands in there and make sure all the veggies are touched with that olive oil. When they are, put a lid on and put them in the oven at 375F for about 45 minutes. As you begin to smell the aroma have a look and give them a stir. Don't be afraid to check on them.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. If you want to try a bit of Honey Dijon as a dipping sauce - mm mm it's yum:)

No comments:

Post a Comment